Friday, March 22, 2013

The Best Wine

 Jesus turning water into wine. 

The next day there was a wedding celebration in the village of Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the celebration. The wine supply ran out during the festivities, so Jesus' mother told him, "They have no more wine". Dear woman, that's not our problem, "Jesus replied. "My time has not yet come." But his mother told the servants, "Do whatever he tells you." Standing nearby were six stone water jars, used for Jewish ceremonial washing. Each could hold twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus told the servants, " Fill the jars with water." When the jars had been filled, he said, "Now dip some out, and take it to the master of ceremonies." So the servants followed his instructions.
When the master of the ceremonies tasted the water that was now wine, not knowing where it had come from (though of course the servants knew) he called the bridegroom over. "A host always serves the best wine first, he said, " Then when everyone has had a lot to drink, he brings out the less expensive wine. But you have kept the best until now!" This miraculous sign at Cana in Galilee was the first time Jesus revealed his glory. And his disciples believed in him. After the wedding he went to Capernaum for a few days with his mother, his brothers and his disciples. (JOHN 2)

Discussion:

Jesus' mother told the servants to do whatever Jesus told them to do. And we clearly see that they obeyed. They did not ask any questions, they did not tweak his instructions to suit what they felt they should do. They obeyed. How often do we try to tweak or twist what we know we need to do because it'll be MUCH easier to do it another way? Just because something is easy doesn't mean it's correct. Also, did you notice that Jesus gave the servants their instructions in steps? Read the story again. He told them to FILL the jars with water first. It was only AFTER they filled the jars did he tell them what to do next, which was dip some out and take it to the master of ceremonies. He could have told them all at once i'm sure. I doubt their memory was THAT bad that they would have forgotten, but he chose not to. Why was that? I have a feeling that he did it that way to test their faith and their obedience.

God provides instructions in steps. He won't tell you step B if you have not shown him that you can obey him with step A. You can never get to the top step on the 2nd floor if you don't move your feet and take one step at time. Yes, we'd all love to fly to the top step, but just like walking the stairs is exercise and strengthens our muscles, taking the long way up and obeying God as he gives you instructions, strengthens you as well. Even in the story where Jesus fed the 5,000. He told the disciples FIRST, tell everyone to sit down. It was AFTER they were seated that he took the loaves and gave thanks. And it was after everyone was full that Jesus told them to pack up the leftovers. What are you being told to do right now?Do you find yourself wondering why you can't figure out your purpose or what God has called you to do? That was me all day, every day. I wanted to know what I was going to do with my life, where I was going to be, who I would be married to, when I would have kids etc., especially the career and relationship area. Those were always my main focuses. No matter how determined I was to figure things out I'd hear this gentle voice say, " Why do you need to know everything? Can't you just trust God and do what he is telling you to do now and wait for the second step?"

Another important thing to take away is that Jesus initially said, "My time has not yet come". Now, he still did the miracle and why he did it after saying that could be discussed, but what baffles me is that Jesus, The Son of God, works on a schedule. God is the author of time. He created it and yet still he says ever so often "Not yet, it's not time." This was not the last time Jesus said my time has not yet come either. What are you getting depressed about? What have you been worrying about receiving or doing? If it's not happening, it could be that it's simply not your time. Does that mean it will never happen? No. We need to understand that God can give us desires, or show us our purpose for our life, career, relationships, finances etc. but just because he shows you something does not mean it will happen right away. Stop trying to turn your future into your present. My path has changed slightly and I know what God has called me to do. It was not my original plan, but lately, my desires have changed. Now, because I know what I will be doing in 10 years I could try to rush it to make it happen now. I mean, God showed me his plans for me right? But, even though I'd be doing what he's called me to do, I would still be OUTSIDE his will because he did not tell me to go and make it happen. He just answered my prayer and showed me.

"The vision is for a future time. It describes the end, and it will be fulfilled. If it seems slow in coming, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed." Habakkuk 2:3

God does not delay. He is always right on time. 

Lastly, the results of the servants obedience and faith is also a lesson. The master of ceremonies praised the bridegroom. "This wine is ALL that" lol (my interpretation) It was the best he said. The product of our obedience will always create the best stories, best success, best everything in our life. Those who hope in the Lord will not be disappointed. Too many times we act as though if we do life God's way that life will be boring or just average. You are walking on an entire new level when you do things his way. He's got you. You have to live like you believe it. It is impossible to please God without faith.

So spend some time reflecting. What is God asking you to do that you have not done because you are waiting for him to tell you more or something else? What are you worrying about when it's simply not your time? And lastly, Don't you want a story or a life that's ALL THAT? The best? Anything Jesus puts his hands on never remains the same. He made the lame walk, the blind see, raised the dead, turned water into wine and fed 5000 people with a few fish and loaves of bread. He multiplies!!! I want him touching my life. I want him holding my life.

God bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment